19 June 2012

Yama - Religious mythology - God of the dead


Hello scary Hinduism/Buddhist mythological creature, how are you today?


It's excellent to bring up some of my new art work, it just felt like a time warp posting some of my oldies. 


Anyway, this is a oil painting on canvas, illustrating a rather religious and mythological painting of Yama, god of the dead present in Hinduism and buhhdist mythology.


 I was interesting in this topic of mythology because I could research into previous artworks and representations of Yama, as his/her ever changing form.


I also chose this subject to entail this sense of deaths presence in life, and how life is ever so fragile. I place the painting in a very obvious place with access to all who come into the room. It provides me with this reminder that I should appreciate life for how it is.


 Focus


I use contrasting, bright colours to almost represent this ironic aspect the painting. After discussing with friends many suggested to emphasize dark colours to reflect this 'death associated being', though I believe it shouldn't be percieved in monochrome at all.


I'll add a link to direct you to a couple of previous ancient Yama paintings to grasp and idea.


The painting itself almost serves not only a visually interesting image, but a social function, as meditating onto this image in daily life allows me to associate to the religious intentions. Recently I finished a book which compliments these ideas of death, and the fragile lives we play. It is written by Buddhist teacher Sogyal Rinpoche, and is called 'The Tibetan book of living & dying'. Excellent read.


I wouldn't say I am a religious person, but one who interests in multiple ideas and the research of them. Though I retain what I do believe, I wish to look at multiple concepts of reality to understand. To understand the depth of life. 


After watching a documentary on artist Damien Hirst, I believe that many of these death related topics may relate to his work. It's only recently until I have been fascinated with his bizarre take to contemporary art, highly recommend his documentary to watch as linked below.




Yama artwork

Damian Hirst Artist - not for the faint hearted aha

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment