16 June 2012

Paint Sculpting - Experimental colour contrasts

A close friend of mine in heavy acrylic sculpted paint. That feel of the Portraits' eyes against yours, 
almost looking into another person on paper. It's amazing how these features of the eyes hold such differentiation between emotion and viewer perceptions.


For many years called this technique the use of a 'palette knife' aha, when in fact it is the use of the 'painting knife', which I had used to create these colourful effects, such a schoolboy error. As the palette knife is used to mix and collect paint on the location of the palette and none other. It's a easy mistake what can I say.

The painting is of a close friend of mine who used to go to my art class this year. I like the exaggerated firework effects in the background, influencing these leading line towards the focal eyes, peering into the reader. I completed this painting early this year aha, little disfigured I must admit. But nonetheless I enjoyed using the - painting knife - and to create a similar look alike of my friend. 

I feel that the true interest of this painting is how this painting may mean differently to many people who see this piece, as its personal to my own ideas. I am familiar with who the person in the paining in the real world, it is only my expression which sculpted the mountain of acrylic shape which may hold an alternative expressionist interest for the majority. 

Almost a secret that know body knows about, something concealed in your memory which others cannot place themselves within. I feel that many Artists such as Gillian Wearing try to appeal to these hidden secrets to influence a social bond with her works and the audience.

Gillian Wearing in her short film trailer 'Self made',
Wearing utilizes the hidden and dark side of the family, told by the participants as they talk to Gillian. I feel this concept would like to reflect in my work, how almost my own impressions mean differently to those who view this piece. Gillian uses the same device for the majority to relate to Taboos and untold events which are proposed using film and other creative medias.

- Self Made -


Jack



No comments:

Post a Comment