13 June 2012

self + colour =


In 2011 I did a couple of rather colorful and fauvist styled self portraits of the self using acrylic on a canvas board.
I completed the two paintings over the course of two days, and separated the time spend on each to one day for one painting.


I used a mirror as my reference, and used colour to emphasize my perceptions of how I see the self in my eyes. Emotions can run in different lights throughout the day, it was interesting to see how my emotion could be expressed in different ways. Almost a documentation of self observation over the duration of the two days, I use unnatural colours to reflect emotive expression in the face.


It's interesting seeing the comparison of both paintings, as perhaps our skills and techniques may be influenced by our current emotions, perceptions and ideas can change on a regular daily basis.


Again, i like to use this lovely contrast of the warm and cold of colours similar to artist David Hockney (link provided).


The painting above reflects a more disturbed image of the self, looking back to this I feel almost elements of sadness and the stillness of everyday life. The use of an orange background really revolutionized the painting, placing priority the the emotional intents of the self.


The portrait below also reflects a element of sadness, but also hope. The use of the warm cheek bones on the cold shadows truly brings this concept to life. The aspect of the eyes gazing into the reader also acts a catalyst for change.


I really Cant't wait to bring up some of my recent paintings aha, I like these because of their personal references to me, but The face shapes are ever so distorted. I also like how the background reflects the colour palette on the painting (right).


Might just be the nice weather Bristol has been having, but it's just One of those 'Junior Senior' days if you know what I mean?


Enjoy.

Jack

Ps, I really love this colourful and psychedelic artist David Hockney, Key inspiration to the uses of colour and expression, hope you enjoy as much as I did.


Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment