17 June 2012

Album Artwork - The Magic of Psychedelia

After that initiation of photoshop skills after playing with numerous freeware GIMP programs alike, I helped a local band in the center of Bristol with some CD productions. I enjoyed this diverse client brief to indulge with colour, materials and type to reflect my individual create interpretations of 'Ogives'.

I will put the link to their site below, such a brilliant two - piece band. I recommend a listen for those art creatives out there, It's nice to hear something alternative to the repetitive prose of pop star icons on the radio. radio. radio.  

This image below illustrates the back cover, the majority of textures used from traditional photographed productions using inks and thick layers of silver spray paint.


The image has been edited to conceal some of my information - aha

 
 
 


All together I produced 50 CD's including disc designs from the influence of the music of 'Ogives'. After discussing with the client what his music meant to him, It was interesting to hear his ideas and concepts concerning his music. The client explained how the Ogive is a concept for the balances of life, as the Ogive is the pattern of dark and light ice bands formed in glaciers when glaciers experience topographical change. The Ogive was used as a symbol for the band to represent a code written by physics and dramatic climates in nature, as a yin/yang life representative. 


I adopted this concept of contrasts of life in my work, as my style flows naturally into these pockets of colour contrasts, it was nice to observe how a finish looks with an exaggeration of these.


The CD project was a great experience for me as a Art student, I love it, just to see people and artists 'doing their own thing', it is magnificent. Though such graphic Design productions are often consituated around a clients briefing, for the graphic artist to utilize the brief into his/her own working is amazing.


Ogives

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment